We may all be busy ladies with a mile long list of priorities on our plate, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a little holiday baking. Those last minute hostess gifts, potluck dishes or office Christmas party quandaries are solved with this quick, and budget-friendly recipe. Better yet, double it and give it to everybody!
For this re-vamp of a holiday classic, grab whatever sweets you may have in your pantry and play around for a delicious twist on Christmas bark. Try M&M’s, caramel or even pretzels and don’t forget to save a little extra for gift giving!
LWTL LAST MINUTE HOLIDAY BARK
- 1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips (or two bags semi sweet if that’s all you can find)
- 1 package Mint Oreo Cookies
- ½ cup chopped nuts of your choice
- 5-6 candy canes
- 1 cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- cooking spray or oil
- Prepare your toppings. Place about half of the Oreo cookies in a large zip-loc bag. Seal shut and break cookies up by hand into large chunks.
- Unwrap candy canes and place in a zip-loc bag. Bang them into crumble with whatever tool works for you.
- Combine both bags of chocolate chips into a medium size pan over low heat. Stir until just melted (or, throw them into the microwave and heat at 8 second intervals, stirring after each until just melted). In the meantime, coat baking sheet with cooking spray/oil.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper over your greased cookie sheet and press down until parchment paper is stuck to cookie sheet (make sure parchment paper hangs over edge of baking sheet slightly as you will use edges to remove it after bark has cooled).
- Pour melted chocolate over parchment paper and spread evenly on cookie sheet, resisting the urge to sample to goods.
- While chocolate is still warm layer with cookies, crushed candy canes and nuts. Press toppings down gently with back of fork so all topping have contact with melted chocolate.
- Bark can be left at room temperature to set up (about an hour or so depending on temperature and humidity in house) or placed in refrigerator for about 30 mins to an hour. After bark has hardened, remove from baking sheet using edges of parchment paper.
- Break the bark into chunks – a few toppings may fall off, and those are just for you. Place in a pretty tin for gift giving or on a tray for serving.