While it is commonly said that high amounts of salt lead to negative effects on the body, incorporating a daily intake of pink Himalayan sea salt into your diet features many more benefits than one would imagine!
This gorgeous pink rock salt is commonly found in the Himalayas and Mediterranean islands. A few fun facts:
- It is a source of natural sodium, which is essential to optimal health and hydration within the body.
- It contains, on average, over 90 health-promoting minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and copper.
- Pink rock salt is different from salts found on the shelves of most grocery stores, as it is pure and unrefined. Table salt is stripped of its natural elements and packed with anti-clumping chemicals such as chlorine; and many sea salts are now refined and left with a small mineral profile.
- As most table salts can be toxic to the body, but rock salt actually aids in the digestion of food and the creation of hydrochloric acid. Without this acid, food becomes harder to digest leading to a host of issues ranging from acid reflux, acne, fatigue, blood pressure regulation and indigestion. Hydrochloric acid also acts as a natural disinfectant, protecting us against any ingested bacteria from the food we eat.
- Prolonged use of pink rock salt can lead to a better electrolyte balance and an alkaline PH level. It may also aid in muscle cramps, weight loss and improve skin complexion.
It is, however, still important to incorporate salt into your diet at moderate amounts, no need to over do it! An easy way to swap in this mineral powerhouse is to use pink sea salt as a replacement when cooking, and as a finishing salt. You could even add a touch to fruits like watermelon or feel extra healthy and incorporate a sprinkle into your fresh pressed juices. Either way, it will look beautiful sitting on your counter or on top of your meals!